Monday, November 17, 2008

and the planning begins

Can you believe that there is only 10 days until 'Turkey Day"? I'm in denial about Christmas and don't want to think about it. I do need to start thinking about Thanksgiving and planning a menu, that's part of the fun.

I truly don't mind cooking a big dinner with all the trimmings but when it's just 2 or 3 of you it sometimes feels like you go through a whole day cooking process for a 20 + minute eating spree.

In the past we’ve gone out to dinner, limited what is cooked, or went over friends for dinner. All these are great but what you miss out on are the leftovers. There are some dishes or meals that just taste better the next day and Thanksgiving is one of them.

How about the turkey sandwich on white bread with cranberry sauce, salt and pepper, and of course mayonnaise. No skimping on the mayo. You don’t get to have a cold turkey sandwich when there aren’t any leftovers.

Last year I joined my son and his girlfriend and they cooked their first Thanksgiving dinner in their new house. We had a great time and everything was perfect. This year it’s at my house.

My son and I have a tradition of going to the movie’s on Thanksgiving, gets us out of the house staring at each other or the television. You’d think we’d be the only people in the whole theatre but it’s surprisingly quite busy on this day. I guess people want to go see the latest flick after a big turkey dinner. Not sure if that’s on our agenda this year or not.

Do you have a family tradition for Thanksgiving?

No comments: