Wednesday, July 16, 2008

what’s cooking wednesday – gnocchi with a breadcrumb, butter, and sage sauce

Wow, I can’t believe it has been two weeks since my last post. I have no good excuse other than works been really crazy and I’m been exhausted when I get home. A week ago I got a kink in my neck and it progressively got worse, A couple of massages didn’t help and after I could barely turn my head I decided to see the doctor. I was also was getting a little crabby at work, not good. Ahhh drugs. Boy did I sleep like a baby last night.

Ok, so that explains my absence. I’ll try and be a better blogger.

This recipe is quick if you have the gnocchi already made. Though gnocchi isn’t hard to make I make extra and put in the freezer or purchase it, makes for a quick meal. Make some breadcrumbs by using day old french bread, baguette, or good Italian bread putting it through the food processor. I process it until there are crumbs and some slightly coarser sizes. I put the extra in the freezer for the next time.

Gnocchi with a Breadcrumb, Butter, and Sage Sauce
Gnocchi
Butter
Breadcrumbs
Sage leaves
Kosher salt
Pecorino cheese

In a sauce pan melt the butter with the sage leaves over medium heat. Once it’s melted sprinkle in a handful of breadcrumbs and a pinch of salt. Continuously stir until the breadcrumbs are toasted a golden brown.* Add the gnocchi. You can loosen up the sauce by adding some of the pasta water to your preference. Remove from heat. Top with finely grated pecorino cheese.


*I remove the sage leaves before I add the gnocchi, the fried sage leaves can be used as a garnish or a little snack for the cook. You deserve it!


Buon Appetito


Today’s Temperature
High: 109°F/43°C
Low: 83°F/29°C
Humidity: 30%

2 comments:

Rowena said...

Now that's an idea that I could put into use -- make/buy extra fresh pasta or gnocchi and freeze them for later. We are too spoiled with the pasta shops where you can go 6 days out of the week for your daily carb fix.
*******
I noticed that you also added the humidity factor at the end. That is dry! I think Hawaii on a good day is something like 75%. We be sweating buckets!

Anonymous said...

Rowena - If I had fresh pasta that I could buy everyday just around the corner, I'd have no need to freeze. I'm jealous my friend.