Wednesday, July 2, 2008

what’s cooking wednesday – southwestern chicken caesar salad

Wow, I just realized it’s been a whole week since I’ve posted last. Yikes, I wish I could blame it on a vacation but I can’t. I guess I’ve just been busy.

This week’s recipe is one that was served in our cafeteria at work and I found it so good that I wanted to share it with you. It fits right in with my trying to stay cool in these hot summer days. I won’t have measurements for this salad but you well honed cooks will be able to figure it out as well as those just introducing themselves to a kitchen.

Please note that as a true blogger that I’m becoming I had my camera with me at work; I whipped it out and took a photo. Have done this many a time in a restaurant or trattoria but it felt a little weird doing this at work; the things we’ll do for a photo. Please note I even made sure to capture the plastic bowl and fork in the photo so you can get a little ambiance of my ‘at work’ dining. I didn’t include any other surroundings as I didn’t want you to see how pathetic it is that I eat at my desk and read blogs during lunch.

What really made this recipe are the cornbread croutons. I’ve never had these before and I must say it was a very nice change from the ole regular croutons, of course it went perfectly with the southwest theme. Let me know if you try out this salad and what you think.

Southwestern Chicken Caesar Salad
Mixed Lettuce
Cumin Chicken – seasoned with cumin and cooked - diced, sliced, shredded, or however you like it
Jalapeño Jack Cheese - grated
Tomatoes - diced
Onions - sliced
Chipotle Ranch Dressing (ranch dressing & chipotle chili’s in adobe sauce)
Cornbread Croutons
Margarine
Salt/Pepper

Mix all your ingredients together and add dressing to taste. Add croutons.

Croutons – the chef in our cafeteria (yes I asked) made a basic cornbread recipe but made them in a 1” layer and cut into cubes once cooled. The cooled croutons were tossed with margarine and salt/pepper and baked until crisp. These really made the salad.

Chipotle Ranch Dressing – I didn’t think to ask the chef how he made his dressing but I think a good ranch dressing would work and add the liquid (strain out the bits) of the chipotle chili’s until it’s as spicy as you like it. If you can’t get enough heat or there isn’t enough liquid just puree the chilis, press through a find strainer and use that.


Buon Appetito


Today’s Temperature
High: 111°F/43°C
Low: 82°F/27°C

No comments: