Friday, September 21, 2012

trains - knowing when to get off

Fri., Sepember 1st

Only had 2 hrs. sleep last night so got a late start this morning.  Checked out of my room, had a caffe and brioche and then stopped by the train station to purchase my ticket to Bagni di Lucca.  Boy was the station crowded with tours, large groups everywhere.  I then zipped to the San Lorenzo market to get a couple of scarves as Bagni di Lucca is up in the mountains and may be a little chilly in the evenings.  I also looked at some purses and other items I'll go and purchase before I fly home. 

Zipped into the Merccato Centrale, wow what a jolt to your senses, the sights, the sounds, the smells - that's one happening place.  I always feel the need to buy fresh pasta, meats, fruits/veggies and go make something, will need to look into renting an apratement sometime in Florence so I can do that.

Caught the train to Bagni di Lucca but it didn't take me long to realize I was on the wrong train and knew I'd miss my first connection to Bagni di Lucca.  No worries, had a 1.5 hour wait for the next train.  Had my kindle, was good to go.  Caught the train and was trying to be alert, maybe too much so as I got off 2 exits early. I drug my bags off the train, not a quick and easy feat as the big one weighs 45 lbs.  After I got off I called to a couple if this was the correct stop at the same time I saw the station name.  Nope it was not Bagni di Lucca.  Understand the train stops for no more than 2 minutes and for me to turn around a get the bags back onto the train could have been done but my fear is I'd have one of the bags on the train, the door close and me unable to open the door to get the other bag onboard along with myself.  Aargh.  The next train through was in another hour + so I had the hotel send a taxi, more expensive... yes, but it got me to my destination sooner.  I usually asked people before getting off the train if it my stop or not and I don't know why I didn't this time.  Lessons leared.

I'm staying at the Byron apartment through the Hotel Regina in Bagni di Lucca.  It is a lovely apartment, plenty of room, no internet as of yet.  Will call Roberto the maanger.

After unpacking and settling in I went for a walk and learned the lay of the town.  It's small so that didn't take long.  Bought a few groceries and then had dinner at Ristorante del Sonno.  This was a recommendation of someone who lives in Bagni di Lucca, Debra.  I had Saltimbucco (veal with proscuitto and sage), roasted potates with rosemary, and ravioli in a butter and sage sauce, red wine and water (total €29).  It was all very good.

Walked home which took me a bit as it was dark and was a little disorientated until I found the street I needed, maybe it was the wine at dinner.I walked approximately 6,000 steps today.

Iìm reading The Red Tent my friend Jan recommended, very good, stayed up past 10p reading, should really get some sleep.

1 comment:

Tammie said...

Hey Sis, please pray for me!!! If you, a seasoned traveler to Italy, have problems with getting on the right train and off at the correct stop, then I have no idea what is in store for me in 11 days. lol ;-)