Friday, November 21, 2008

little sprouts

I had the outside of my house painted a couple of weeks ago and because I knew I was having this done I delayed planting my garden so in wouldn’t be in the way of the painters. With it being dark when I leave for work and also when I get home it limits my time to get out in the garden.

Over the past week I’ve finally have planted flowers, herbs, and lettuce in a couple of areas. I still have two other sections to plant; hopefully I can get to it this weekend.

As I mentioned before, I love arugula. I planted arugula on Sunday and 3 days later you can see below the little sprouts that have appeared. Arugula grows very fast which I love, gives a gardener quick gratification seeing your garden grown. In the area to the right of the argula I planted flat leaf parsley, as you can see it takes longer for parsley to germinate.

Arugula

I will let the arugula sprouts grow another inch or so and then I’ll start thinning out the patch. Those baby sprouts have a nice mild peppery taste to them and they make a great light salad with a little olive oil, kosher salt, and pecorino romano shavings. Hmmm, I can hardly wait. I’ll try and remember to take a photo to share.

When I plant flowers in pots or in beds I like to keep to the same type of flower and the same color so that there is a burst of color and it draws your eye to them. One of my favorite flowers that do great during the winter/spring is petunias. This year there wasn't a good selection of petunias at the stores and what there was they didn’t have them in the same colors. It was more a variety pack.


I broke my rule because I enjoy petunias so much that I bought the variety pack, will have to see once they start growing and flowering just what they look like.

Besides petunias I planted pansy’s (orange & blue), basil, oregano, thyme, sage, and rosemary.

Petunias & Herbs

How does your garden grow?

No comments: