Thursday, November 6, 2008

king of my kitchen

I don’t know about you but when I’m going to make a significant purchase that I will have for the rest of my life I will spend time researching to determine the style, color, and model of what I want.

Case in point, I want a Kitchenaid stand mixer. There are two styles with the Kitchenaid mixer, tilt head or bowl lift. Now I automatically would choose the tilt head as of it’s convenience of removing the attachments, adding ingredients, or the ease of scraping down the sides of the bowl.

This would be an open/shut case on what style to choose except the tilt head mixer is smaller (9-cup bowl) then the new Pro600 model (14-cup bowl). Hmmm, what I really wanted was a 14-cup tilt head model but they don’t make it.

Then I ask myself, Linda you are single, your son lives 40 minutes away, and the last loaf of bread I bought was over 6 weeks ago, do I currently or will I ever in my future need a mixer that can make 8 ¼ loaves of bread, 13 dozen cookies, or 8 pounds of mash potatoes in one setting? That’s exactly what I thought too. Uhhh NO. So I decided on the model – Artisan 5-Quart Tilt Head Stand Mixer. Yahoo!!

But wait, what color to choose? Questions I asked myself. Where will it be stored, on the counter for everyone to see or in a cabinet? Should it be a shiny surface or a mat surface that wouldn’t show finger prints or streaks? If it sits on my countertop should it blend with the décor or stand out? All very good questions.

Some of the decisions were easy. I don’t have tall enough space for it to be stored in a bottom cabinet and the mixer is too heavy to lift overhead. You also want it handy enough to use at a whim and not have to go retrieve it from whatever far off place I found to store it. Ok, on the countertop it would go, at least in the beginning. The colors they have now are amazing, not just white and black anymore. There’s the retro trendy green apple, cornflower blue, boysenberry, bayleaf, blue willow, persimmon, and on and on. Then you have the old faithful colors, of white, empire red or imperial black.

color: persimmon
courtesy of kitchenaid.com


color: cornflower blue
courtesy of kitchenaid

comcolor: apple green
courtesy of surlatable.com

comcolor: boysenberry
courtesy of kitchenaid.com



comcolor: empire red
courtesy of kitchenaid.com

As much as I would have loved to have the persimmon color that matched the random specks in my granite countertops I didn’t want it to be a focal point in the kitchen, it is just a mixer even though it’s a Kitchenaid and I’ve wanted one forever. I decided to go with black as it will blend with the kitchen and after much vacillating decided to go glossy (onyx black) as my countertops and appliances are all shiny.

After I had decided on what I wanted my girlfriend calls me this past week and tells me the QVC Special Value of the day was the Pro600 for a price of $299. That is the same price as the Artisan smaller model. That was at least a $150 savings and you get the bigger model. Only problem was that it’s not a tilt head. Darn it. As much as I love a good sale I wasn’t sacrificing the tilt head for a sale.

Since I have no burning need to get my Kitchenaid this second I’ve decided to wait as the holidays are really close and I’m hoping to catch it on sale or maybe some attachments thrown in. Maybe waiting for the after Christmas sales.

I’d like to introduce you to my future king of my kitchen:

comcolor: onyx black
courtesy of surlatablecom

No comments: