Monday, November 24, 2008

checking the ads

This week is thanksgiving but another important day is also this week. One that retailers are hoping and praying will not be as bad as they are expecting it to be. Black Friday. The term "Black Friday" originated in Philadelphia in reference to the heavy traffic on that day. More recently, merchants and the media have used it instead to refer to the beginning of the period in which retailers are in the black (i.e., turning a profit). Read more about it here.

I’ve been known to go out and be part of the shopping madness but only to the extent that I’m looking for a particular item and it’s at a smoking price. I refuse to be part of the all day mad dash knocking over everyone to get to an item that is limited in supply.

I also have to admit that I’ve gone out on Thanksgiving to get a great deal, especially if it means I don’t have to go out on Friday and deal with all the traffic.

I picked up the Sunday paper today so I can check out the ads. Though I know most ads will come out in Thursday’s paper I’m sure retailers will be promoting more early specials. I posted previously that I’m going to purchase a KitchenAid Onyx Black Tilt Head Stand Mixer and I’m going to be ready if I find a great deal.

Are there any other Black Friday shoppers out there?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE shopping the day after Thanksgiving... love it, love it, love it. Not only because of the sales, but I love the energy and excitment. I don't even HAVE to buy something... I like being there to people watch.

Anonymous said...

Hi Cherrye - who doesn't love a good sale and the excitement that goes with it. Count me in as long as I have my venti carmel macchiato from S*@r-u#ks.