Sunday, July 27, 2008

unexpected welcome

Today was a day to do some things around the house. You know those tasks that need to get done or you’d fail the white glove test. I call them chores. Since I’m not a lover of house cleaning but find it necessary the word chore fits perfectly.

I start the first load of laundry, move the watering hoses in the front and backyard on the trees make some toast for breakfast and sit and watch Sunday Morning. Load my dishes into the dishwasher and start it up. Go put clothes in the dryer and start another load. Oh, get distracted by the Pottery Barn catalog for a few minutes; then move on.

During this dance of chores, distraction, back on track, etc. I get a phone call from a dear friend asking if I’m able to do lunch. What a pleasant surprise. Was I able to get away, let me think chores or lunch with a friend, chores or lunch with a friend? Yep, I’m free for lunch, wouldn’t you be? She gave me several hours’ notice which is nice when you’re in the middle of something and you still need to jump in the shower.

What a lovely unexpected break. We went to one of my favorite Asian places, Pei Wei. Between the constant conversations of what we’ve been up to we also covered politics, religion, movies, work, future plans between our munching down on lunch. She had the DanDan Noodle bowl, a spicy dish of noodles, ground chicken, bean sprouts, and zucchini, very tasty. I enjoyed the Asian chicken salad, cabbage and lettuce with poached chicken pieces, tomatoes, cucumbers, sesame seeds with tangy ginger vinaigrette, with wonton strips, also very tasty. We shared an order of crispy wontons with a sweet/spicy chili sauce.

The food was great as well as the company. We had a great afternoon. I took this picture of the food because that’s what bloggers do, right? Yes, my friend thought I was nuts.

These unexpected moments we need to take advantage of and enjoy, life’s too short. I hope you get the chance to spend some unexpected time with a friend. Maybe it’s time to call that one person you’ve been meaning too, don’t wait.


Today’s Temperature
High: 104°F/40°C
Low: 79°F/26°C
Humidity: 34%

No comments: