Wednesday, June 4, 2008

what’s cooking wednesday – prosciutto ravioli in a oregano or sage butter sauce

If you don’t have time to make pasta dough (even though making pasta is not difficult) and have access to wonton wrappers then here is a quick ravioli recipe. I’ve made these ravioli’s with and without the prosciutto, they tasted great either way. This ravioli is light and delicate so you won’t want a heavy sauce. These freeze nicely for future use but make sure you freeze them in a single layer until they are frozen and then place in a container or bag.



Prosciutto Ravioli in a Oregano or Sage Butter Sauce
15 oz. ricotta cheese
1-10oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach (thawed & squeezed dry)
4 oz. thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped
2 large egg yolks
¾ tsp. salt
½ tsp. fresh ground pepper
48 wonton wrappers
½ cup butter
3 tsp. fresh oregano or 6 sage leaves
Freshly grated pecorino romano cheese

Whisk together ricotta, spinach, prosciutto, egg yolks, salt, & pepper in a medium bowl to blend.

Place 1 tablespoon of filling in the center of a wonton wrapper. Brush the edge of the wrapper lightly with water. Fold wrapper in half forming a triangle making sure the edges are completely sealed.

Cook the ravioli’s in boiling salted water for 4 minutes (longer if they are frozen) gently transferring to a platter when done. Melt butter with fresh herbs and pour over ravioli’s. Sprinkle with pecorino cheese.


Buon Appetito

4 comments:

Diane said...

Oh, I've made ravioli before with wonton wrappers, they're really good! These sound delicious. Maybe I'll try them when I'm in NY on vacation, as I've never seen wonton wrappers here in Italy (though we do have fresh pasta stores that sell home-made ravioli, so I guess they wouldn't be big sellers unless you really wanted to make wontons!)

Diane said...

Oh, I've made ravioli before with wonton wrappers, they're really good! These sound delicious. Maybe I'll try them when I'm in NY on vacation, as I've never seen wonton wrappers here in Italy (though we do have fresh pasta stores that sell home-made ravioli, so I guess they wouldn't be big sellers unless you really wanted to make wontons!)

Shan said...

That looks delicious!

Don't forget to sign the Mr. Linky and link back to me on WCW.

Anonymous said...

Diane - your right these ravioli's won't stand a chance next to the fresh homemade pasta's that you can purchase each day in Italy. I'm jealous.

Shan - I'm new at this blogging thing so I'm not sure what you mean about signing Mr. Linky...

Linda